Help Page & FAQ
MarkdownTableMaker is a Google Sheets add-on that converts sheets or ranges into Markdown tables with text formatting.
Effective June 20, 2019, all Google Drive add-ons have been migrated from the Chrome Web Store to the G Suite Marketplace.
This is a simple Markdown table generator for Google Sheets. It uses Google Sheets as the Markdown table design interface.
FeaturesThe following is a list of MarkdownTableMaker features:
- Expands a YouTube watch
<<URL>>into a YouTube video thumbnail image with a link to the watch page.
- Supports the
=IMAGE(URL)function with alt/title text using the spreadsheet note feature.
- Supports the
=HYPERLINKfunction with alt/title text using the spreadsheet note feature.
- Added support for the
=HYPERLINKfunction link and labels.
=HYPERLINK("https://example.com" & A1, "Foo")
=HYPERLINK("https://example.com" & foo!A1, "Foo")
- Displays formatted cell values.
- Skips hidden rows and columns.
- Supports Markdown bold font formatting.
- Supports Markdown italic font formatting.
- Supports Markdown
- Supports Markdown column left alignment.
- Supports Markdown column center alignment.
- Supports Markdown column right alignment.
monospacefonts as Markdown fixed-width
- Copy and paste Markdown table into StackEdit, Reddit, or any other Markdown editors or viewers.
- Supported Markdown editors and viewers: GitLab, GitHub, Atom, Drafts, StackEdit, Bear (via Marked 2), Day One, Typora, Reddit, WordPress (via JetPack), Visual Studio Code, Minimalist Markdown Editor, Mado, Dillinger, Markdown Plus, StackOverflow ...
- Q: Do you support images??
- A: Yep!! You must use the
=IMAGE()function to call an image by URL. This image URL will be converted into Markdown. Also, you can add a "note" to the cell, which is converted to alt text or title text.
- Q: How do I add a YouTube video to my GitHub page??
- A: You cannot embed a video into a GitHub page, but you can create a YouTube thumbnail with a link.
MarkdownTableMaker handles that automatically. Simply, enter the YouTube watch URL into the spreadsheet using the <<URL>> syntax. The YouTube thumbnail will be generated during Markdown table conversion. Here is a demonstration with the same URL: the simple one is treated as an ordinary link; the other URL with "template" notation is converted to a YouTube thumbnail.
- Q: How do I install MarkdownTableMaker for Google Sheets?
A: Installing the add-on is quick and easy.
- Q: Does MarkdownTableMaker skip the hidden columns and rows?
- A: Yes.
- Q: Does MarkdownTableMaker skip the rows hidden by filter conditions?
- A: Yes. You can create dynamic tables that only show the data you want.
- Q: Is it possible to copy and paste my Markdown table into journaling apps like Day One for macOS?
- A: Yes. However, multiline text does not work in the Markdown tables in Day One.
- Q: Is it possible to copy and paste my Markdown table into notes apps like Bear for macOS?
- A: Sure. Before you copy and paste Markdown tables from MarkdownTableMaker into the Bear app, you must uncheck the option Edit > Substitutions > Smart Dashes. Also, you need to enable Preferences > General > Markdown compatibility mode.
- Q: Can I use this Markdown table on Reddit?
- A: Yes.
- Q: How do I remove MarkdownTableMaker?
- A: Here is a complete removal guide, including help with issues related to the Google editor add-on migration.
Updated on July 19, 2019